Friday, January 30, 2009

Pic of the Day!


(click on the photo to see the artist’s page)

There is so much I could say about this photo. I think everyone could take a glance and read something into it. But here’s my take:

I think this girl is trying to figure out if she’s really alone or not. At first I thought that she was. But then I took a closer look and noticed that there are two pairs of shoes on the dock next to her. And it made me wonder, where’s the owner of the second pair of shoes? I kept thinking that maybe the other person was submerged and that this girl—the one in the photo—was holding her breath, waiting for him to re-emerge from the dark depths of the watery abyss. She certainly seems focused on the water. Is she watching something just under the surface, or maybe waiting for something to happen? How long has this mysterious second person been out of sight? And how long is she going to wait for him before giving up? The longer I look at this photo, the more questions I ask myself.

Now, if you thought that I was going to compare this photo to myself and my relationship status, well… you’re absolutely right. But I’ll let you come up with the different parts of the analogy yourselves. It could be very simple, but most of the time it turns into something far too complex. At least, too complex for me to sit here and try to explain in a way that would make sense to you, my lovely readers.

But here’s my final question to you:


How long do you think either of them can hold their breath before they realize that everything has changed?

4 comments:

  1. The second pair of shoes...well, SOMEONE has to take the picture. She had gas, he got grossed out and went behind her (remember...that's where gas comes from!) and snapped this picture.

    You analyze too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so..I saw the photo and immediately thought (probably a little reflective of my life) that she was happy to be there soaking in the quiet. That she knew the shoes would be filled soon enough but for now..it was nice to appreciate the repose. Oh, and she also noticed that it was getting a little cold.
    If in fact, her lover was under the surface tho..she is looking far too relaxed about it for my taste..not apprehensive enough about the situation. Kind of as if she's glad of it.
    So lastly..the question you asked in the end- so profound it gave me chills. wow. How long do YOU think they'll be able to hold their breath?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harvey... you know, it dawned on me that you're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Too much gas can cause a seriously awkward situation, eh? ;) Thanks for lightening things up a bit, you always make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca, isn't it funny how we always associate our own thoughts and experiences with art? I mean, that's how we personalize things. Sounds to me like you could use a quiet day down at the lake, eh? ;) But no worries. As for my final question, My answer keeps changing depending on my mood. But most of the time I keep thinking that I've finally stopped holding my breath.

    ReplyDelete