Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Police Activity" on the Narrows Bridge

I was a little troubled by my initial reaction as I drove past the Jumper on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge today. Let me explain.

Earlier today (around 11am) I was online at a local news site checking out the latest headlines when I noticed a Traffic Alert bulletin posted at the top of the page. The alert stated that the right lane of The Bridge had been closed due to "police activity." This activity had apparently been going on since before 9am, something that I would learn hours later.


(I took this photo about a year ago. From this vantage point I am standing in GH looking at Tacoma.)


At around 1pm I was heading across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge making my way towards Tacoma when I noticed that the right lane was still closed. Ok. So I moved my butt over and slowed way the heck down along with all the rest of the traffic that was heading the same direction. I admit that I was rather annoyed that so many people were "goosenecking," that is until I started goosenecking myself.

I was amazed to see AT LEAST 12 emergency response vehicles (cop cars, sheriff's, ambulances, fire trucks, Incident Response Vehicles, etc.). It wasn't until I passed the small camper with the phrase "Negotiations Team" painted on the side that I realized what I was seeing. And what's worse? There was some dude in jeans and a t-shirt shimmying down one of the heavy metal suspension wires of the bridge! There was a cluster of about 7 cops surrounding the spot where the dude would eventually land, but they all seemed so casual (except for the one annoyed looking cop that was waving traffic on), that I had to wonder if I was really watching a Jumper being talked out of killing himself.

And what was my immediate response? I muttered in a deeply annoyed voice, "Freakin Jumpers."

Yeah, can you believe it?! I was all miffed that some dude was so down-and-out that he'd attempt to hurl himself to a watery grave. Talk about cold-hearted. Naturally, I immediately felt guilty for being such a wench and thinking such horrible thoughts. But as I pondered my reaction I started realizing a few things:

1. What a sad state of affairs! Not only have I been jaded by years and years of jumpers seeking attention in such a public and horrific way, but the WA state Department of Transportation (WDOT) doesn't even bother closing the bridge anymore when there's a jumper! *shaking my head* Talk about tragic.

2. I've come to believe that people who try (or even succeed) to commit suicide are selfish. They don't take into consideration those around them who might witness it, let alone the family and friends they leave behind who have to deal with such a sudden and brutal turn of events.

3. Don't these people do their research?! I mean, history has shown that jumpers who decide to jump from above the driving platforms on the Narrows Bridge almost always land ON the driving platforms of the bridge. It's due to the high winds that are almost always constant through the Narrows. Not only that, but talk about rude! Not even caring if you land on a car driving past you below, splattering guts in broad daylight and (no doubt) causing a countless number of people to go into counseling for who knows how long. It all just reeks of selfishness.

4. But most importantly, no matter how much life sucks it can *always* get worse. And it's NEVER so bad that you have to end your own life. NEVER. So make due with what you've got and go from there. That's my philosophy.

Anyway, as I was driving back the other way a couple hours later I noticed that there was still loads of "police activity" happening on the east-bound bridge but no sign of the Jumper. My guess is that they whisked him off to the nearest hospital, and then off to the nearest mental hospital. But what a crazy day, eh?

4 comments:

  1. So he was going to jump from the very tippy top? How did he even get up there? That's crazy! I've been in the Gig for almost 2.5 years, and so far no one has jumped to their demise. I've kind of been waiting for one, but I am glad he got talked down. Suicide is a major bummer--for all parties involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, most of them never reach the water due to crosswinds. If they jump from the bridge deck, they usually hit the supports. If they jump above the bridge deck, the usually land in Lane 2.

    ~ME

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand suicide being a selfish thing, and how doing it so *publicly* seems doubly-selfish, but I see that kind of stuff as a lesson in gratitude and compassion. That person on the bridge was either really sick, chemically imbalanced, incredibly depressed, or seeking the wrong kind of attention. What's underscored, to me, is that they didn't know how to meet their needs in a positive way, or know any other way out.

    As a suicide-attempter in a former life (not a bridge, I'm not a MASOCHIST), I can definitely say from experience that you aren't a fully-functioning human being when you decide life isn't worth a damn anymore; I was whacked. So reasoning with someone, and saying 'can't you see how it's hurting everyone around you' just illustrates that *you* are balanced and emotionally mature, not them. I fully agree with a lot of what you're saying, but next time, think of it as an opportunity for you to be grateful it's not you--although the bigger challenge is always having compassion for people, no matter what the situation. We can learn from the weirdest things.

    (This is coming off as sounding trite or annoyed, but that's really not my tone--you know if I wanted to be super snotty, I would.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snotty, you rock my socks! I most DEFINITELY agree with you regarding the mentally unstable/chemically imbalanced part of your comment. In fact, I wanted to put that into my blog but I felt it was going to make it a little too long. But you're right... people who've gotten to that point aren't in their right minds.

    I had a similar discussion with an Army friend of mine earlier who deals with a lot of suicidal people and he told me that these people may be seeking attention, but it's not from the police. They want the attention of their family and loved ones, who often times have already said, "go ahead and do it." That is seriously tragic.

    You and I know that there's so much more to be said regarding the situation, but what it comes down to is exactly what you said: having compassion for these people. That's why I was so shocked and ashamed at my initial response. It is so sad.

    ReplyDelete